Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bucket List

I have three pieces in the safe. Chronologically ordered, they are:

Walther P22
.22 LR

First gun, bought it on a whim. It's fun for putting a bunch of rounds through, but not very accurate at all. I haven't shot it in a while, and will probably sell it once I have some time to list it online.

WASR-10
7.62x39mm

Romanian-produced AKM, this is the apple of my eye. It's so much fun to shoot, and I can get them all on the paper at 100 yards (with iron sights, mind you). My old man gives me a hard time because he's got the fancy shamncy ARs which are a lot more accurate, but they are also prone to jamming and fire more expensive ammo. I don't know, I just like the look of the AK. I'm going to get an AR sooner or later, but not for a while.

High Standard Sport King Model 103
.22 LR

This may not look like much, but it is a tack driver compared to the P22 and many other recreational .22s. It can outshoot the venerable Ruger Marks I-III, as it has a hair trigger and long sight radius. I found it used (produced in the late 60s), cleaned it up, and let rip. I'm still looking for an extra magazine for it, as High Standard is out of business and these are pretty rare.



Now, those are fun and all, but I'm nowhere near done collecting. Here's my Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa list:

Remington 700 SPS
.308 Winchester

I want one of these right out of the box. I'll put a real nice piece of glass on it, lighten up the trigger, and get some real nice match ammo. Then I'll go hit stuff 300 yards away like Bob Lee Swagger. Both the Army's and Marines' sniper rifle systems are built from Remington 700s, so there is an endless number of upgrades and accessories available.

Mossberg 500
12 gauge

Everyone needs a shotgun. This comes in an endless variety of options, but I'm leaning towards a field/deer combo, which comes with two barrels (28" and 24"). I don't really like the tactical-looking ones. This will probably be my next purchase.

M1911a
.45 ACP

Ahh, the timeless pistol designed by John Browning is a must-have for any serious collector. It was the US Military's standard sidearm from World War I through Vietnam, and is still carried by some Marines and Delta Force despite being replaced by the M9. It's chambered in the .45 ACP, widely considered the premier autoloader round available, and is produced by virtually every gun manufacturer. I can't wait to get one.

Smith & Wesson 340PD
.357 Magnum

One of S&W's newest offerings, this five-shot revolver is chambered for the powerful .357 Magnum cartridge. It is constructed out of scandium, aluminum, and titanium alloys, which makes it exceptionally light (only 12 ounces). The barrel is just under 2 inches long, so it should definitely not be used as a first option, as it is not very accurate. However, it's a perfect (albeit expensive) backup gun. I want it because it's state-of-the-art, light as hell, and a .357 Magnum.

No comments:

Post a Comment