Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tab Please


Here's something I've been burning on for a while. How many times are you working on a huge project at work and find yourself continually reaching all the way over to the left to press tab? Tab is arguably the most effective and most underrated key on the keyboard, but it's so far out of the way. It allows you to navigate the screen without reaching for the mouse and has even more specific functions within programs.

I am personally a fan of the num pad. I spend probably half my day pounding SS#'s into a database. I like to lean on my left elbow and enter numbers with my right hand, making the tab key unreachable without contorting my body. I often think, "Man, I could do this 10 times faster if there was a tab key on the right." Enter the R-Tab.

Made by Wayne Wilson, the R-Tab is a keyboard with a Tab and an Esc key to the right of the num pad. It puts all the necessary keys within reach of the right hand, allowing for an easy and independent rhythm when using the num pad. Wilson says that when used properly the R-Tab increases productivity by 15-27%.

You're a genius Mr. Wilson. I'll take 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment