Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Rest of the Starting 5

So we've already established that Good Will Hunting and Shooter are top 5 on my all-time movie list. Who else rounds out the 5? Easy.

Top Gun - My only regret is that I couldn't see this in theaters as I was still being breast-fed. It was ahead of its time with regards to special effects, but it has evolved into a comedy of sorts. I'm laughing most of the way through the movie, even though it has a quasi-serious plot. The gay overtones are also pretty memorable, not that there's anything wrong with that. Bonus points for watching it drunk freshman year and almost burning down the dorm with a bag of popcorn.

Training Day - It sucks that Denzel had that n00b as the leader actor, because that's really all that's wrong with this movie. Denzel gives an Oscar-winning role, drops numerous n-bombs on the predominantly white audience, and there's no shortage of gunfire, drugs, and Eva Mendes' full frontal nudity (watch it on slo-mo, I promise it's there). I lived in a house with about 20 guys, and at least 12 of them had a copy of Training Day.

Wall Street - Used to be the go-to movie in my collection, but has slipped somewhat, for unknown reasons. It's still infinitely rewatchable due to Michael Douglas' brilliance as Gordon Gekko. He has the most ridiculous one-liners, just IMDB it. Charle Sheen delivers a decent performance, as does his old man.

Honorable Mentions:
My Cousin Vinny
Trading Places

That's really about it. Before JT Marlin jumps down my throat, I'm not saying those are the best 5 movies ever made. Just that they're my favorite 5.

1 comment:

  1. I recognized the "my" in the first sentence, plus can't hate on anyone that has Top Gun in their Top 5.

    ReplyDelete