Monday, June 15, 2009

Is Shooter the Scottie Pippen to Good Will Hunting's Michael Jordan?



OK, I know they're not the same type of movie at all, but on my starting 5 of movies, they're definitely the two MVPs. Good Will Hunting will never be matched, but Shooter comes damn close in terms of rewatchibility and in terms of memorable quotes.

Think about it, what do you watch action movies for? Bangs, booms, gunshots, Marky Mark, and black ops. This movie's got it all. It starts when Bob Lee Swagger (the perfect name for our star-crossed hero) is on a black op with his spotter. Bleep hits the fan, and Bob Lee eventually ditches the Marines and ends up in Montana with his dog and his rifles. He's called back into service to help plan a mock assassination on the President, when bleep hits the fan again. I'll let you Netflix the rest of it. Just know that Danny Glover is heavily involved, and Kate "Boner" Mara gets her big break as Bob Lee's love interest.

Shooter's one of those movies you need to see in theaters or with a respectable surround sound. Smiles, the Professor and I saw it in theaters, which was legit, especially when the Russky drops his famous line, "He's. Not. Dead." A few weeks ago, Studley Do-Right and I watched this flick on max volume in Room 112 with our buddy James Beam and it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I encourage everyone to go out and buy it on DVD, if not Blu-ray. This is the first Blu-ray I'm getting when I join the HD era.





No comments:

Post a Comment